permaculture - Re: [permaculture] So what do you really think about long term climate change...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] So what do you really think about long term climate change...
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:27:59 -0400

Ben Martin Horst wrote:

I don't have the source handy right now, but I recall reading a paper
(maybe more than one) a couple years back in which the authors found a
correlation between the spread of paddy rice culture a couple thousand
years ago and a slight rise in global temperature. The hypothesis was
that methane released by flooding the fields contributed to a
greenhouse effect,

How does flooding a rice paddy result in methane release?

I've seen pictures of a field worker breaking down a huge ball of livestock
manure
in the middle of a flooded rice paddy, one terrace's worth, to fertilize the
crop.
Methane is generated during anaerobic decomposition of organic matter. If the
paddy were to go putrefactive
during such a procedure the rice would probably be killed from lack of oxygen. I expect the water in the paddy (often containing lots of duckweed and algae growing in the nutrient-rich water, would not go putrefactive during normal conditions, i.e. with normal farming practice.

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm