permaculture - Re: [permaculture] So what do you really think about long term climate change due to pollution-related global warming

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: KNat <knat@sprintmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] So what do you really think about long term climate change due to pollution-related global warming
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 08:50:05 -0600

yarrow@sfo.com wrote:

The number-one thing everyone can do is to eat lower on the food chain. We could reduce greenhouse gases by about half within a year or two by stopping the breeding and eating of livestock.
Anyone have good resources on write ups of the impact of animals in biodynamic setting. My daughter is looking for articles on animals in homestead settings to round out a similar discussion on vegetarianism for global CO2 reduction..
(some background, our life choices have led us to raise our own animals (small so far) and the articles seem to get caught up in factory farms. Her view is animals are respectfully raised as members here and have many roles including continued contribution after death.)
She (and I) are discussing raising enough protein for ourselves instead of pasture vs using rocky hillside for goats and goats for fertilizer, milk, meat, laborers (packs and carts), leather, bone tools and soil additives. As you can imagine from that list, the sacrifice to become meat is more likely a sheep than a goat since goats do part of the labor and the sheep are passive contributors who require more protection, but males are hard to live with. It's pretty easy to balance w goats, sheep, chickens if males don't stay long.We have steep slopes and lots of brambly brush. Anyone have plan ideas for rocky, brushy, hillside lifestyle that doesn't have humans harvesting other animals? Does that even make sense?

Kathyann