permaculture - Re: [permaculture] 'resurrecting' the thread about spirituality and permacult...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] 'resurrecting' the thread about spirituality and permacult...
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 21:51:07 EDT

Paul makes this comment:

"Michael mentioned something about the worrying amount of disarray in the
natural world, and that a deity with the least sense of tidiness would
have done a much neater job of things. I confess that has worried me
(and still does to an extent) but ultimately, I don't think I would
trust a god who was so rigid as to make everything function like a brass
clock. He wouldn't be very exciting or dynamic, and he'd most certainly
be one of those 'fire and brimstone' gods with a whole host of rules. A
god who does confusing and sometimes bizarre things would be a god with
a lot more depth and mystery."

Good observations. But the god that most worries me is god as petulant ten
year old. Periodically he grows bored with his Creation, goes over and kicks
the
blocks apart, shouting "Earthquake!" That's the one I keep my eye on.

It has been said of the Yezidis of Iraq, by their neighbors (they deny this
themselves) that they worship the Great Horned One. Why? Obviously the Nice
God
is something of a pushover. You can pray and kiss up to him, and he's likely
to smile on you.

But the Evil One? He not only has the power to smite, he uses it at the
slightest provocation. Obviously this is the deity you're going to want to
keep on
the good side of. The Yezidis, if the rumor is true, would seem to be a very
pragmatic group of worshippers.

And they've never had a tsunami, either.

Michael