permaculture - Re: [permaculture] More Thoughts on Beekeeping

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] More Thoughts on Beekeeping
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 00:28:19 -0400

Kevin Topek wrote:
Lawrence,

Miss Patty tippling a tall boy would have been a sight to behold! I have

She was a very nice, considerate, practical lady. Friends and I would spend
hours on Saturday morning
in their sunroom marvelling at the amazing arrowhead collection and big bowls
of trinkets, jackrocks
and piles of antique gimmicks and gadjets and toys to delight us, and play
cards, checkers then roam outside
in the incredible ole English cottage garden landscape full of mysteries.
They had a big vegetable garden
and canned much of it for the winter. Real urban homesteaders! Miss P slugging a half quart Fosters would have been as likely as Mozart adapting an hour of Lawrence Welk to operetta for the Vienna connoisseurs.

made mead. It is strong and sweet. It is hard to find good mead making yeast
in this country. In my experience honey makes a better beer. Just make sure
to use at least 50% malted barley grain or extract. I took my dead hive
apart for disposal yesterday. While getting stung by a rogue bee I tried to

Sounds delicious; never tried mead.

kick the supers apart. I dislocated my right big toe. Words to live by:
"Don't kick the beehive!" My son had his friend kick the beehive when they
were five and he got stung a lot. We have said "Don't kick the beehive"
since. Do as I say, not as I do.

Safety first! Do we need to have an OSHA inspector pay you regular visits?

The buzz around my place is that the bees are still around. I still have
honeybees on my 6 acres.
Had them last year and they are already out again this year foraging among
the wild mustard and turnip greens
flowering and going to seed. Several years ago when my hives got infested
with the moth they must have swarmed
and found a new place to colonize out in the woods surrounding my land.

Cheers,

LL
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.