permaculture - Re: [permaculture] More Thoughts on Beekeeping

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] More Thoughts on Beekeeping
  • Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 22:51:28 -0500

Kevin Topek wrote:

After a long lunch discussion with a beekeeping
friend yesterday we decided the following. We are going to order new
Buckfast, English, bees this spring and stick with them for 2007, no new
Italian colonies for this year. I am throwing away my diseased hive in it's
entirety, quite a financial loss, especially since I was using plastic
(Pierco) foundations. We are going back to galvanized metal tops over wood,
no more Styrofoam, it breaks due to the stickiness of the high propolis
content of hot weather hives. We intend to rob more honey, not less this
year, probably 3 times. We both want French bees, but are not able to locate
any. Any info on that out there?

I have inquired in the sanet-mg list & will post any feedback here.

I gotta tell you, when we spin honey together,
we attract friends, imbibe in libations and have a blast!

I can imagine Mrs. W, aloft, nodding in approval. Memories of her wild
Saturday soirees;
finding the usual collection of MD20-20, Nite Train Express, Pink Lady
bottles and dozens of Foster's cans
strewn throughout the longsuffering Japonica bushes Sunday morn. A & I were
stunted for life at the awesome sight.

Have you made any mead?

LL
--