permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture as noun, verb, adjective, ad absurdum

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture as noun, verb, adjective, ad absurdum
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 16:55:34 -0500

Here's a few more suffixes to burden the word with.
permaculturized
permaculturated
permacultivation
permacultivated

How about prefixes...

empermaculture
repermaculture
unpermaculture

..and then infixes (a cousin of the prefix & suffix except that it occurs in the middle of a word) such as

permaf-ckingculture

The Britannica say that infixes occur in Greek and Tagalog but not English which is unf-ckingbelievable. ;-)

Ben Martin Horst wrote:
I don't claim to know Portuguese, but I believe the Brazilian
permaculture network's name, "Permear" is an attempt to verbize
"permacultura." An English equivalent might be "to perm," which is
ugly and confusing ("No, I meant sustainable production of food, not
hairstyling."), or "to permize," which is also ugly. I don't think
there's enough value in creating a new verb to justify the aesthetic
nastiness.

Ben