permaculture - [permaculture] keeping subject lines relevant

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Fritz <johnfritz77@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] keeping subject lines relevant
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 18:11:37 -0800 (PST)

O.K. I get that. This is what I was saying to another list member and I did
not know why it was being sent to me...unless I, absent-mindedly, did this
also. I always try to clip my replies and keep the subject line relevant and
specific to the message...TRY, being the operative word here. I will try
harder, but if I fail I quess I am the one that loses.

Just a suggestion. I don't know if the feature I am about to describe is
available to you on the list serve you are using, but it has recently been
added to a yahoogroup I belong to
(RunningOnEmpty2) and makes replying much easier. At the end of each
message there are three links for three seperate options in replying. One is
a direct reply to the author of the post that does not load the original
message in the text box. The other two are links for replying as a post to
the group or to the forum (IIRC) I am not sure of the distinction between
these second and third options. Replying as a post to the group does load
the original post to the text box of the reply. One reason I like this
feature is that it ensures that the subject line will not be a generic
"digest" number but will be an addendum to the original posters subject.

Another feature that ROE2 recently adapted through yahoo is that each
message in the index of an individual digest is a link to the actual message,
in the digest. So, for instance, if I want to reply to message 7 of 15 I do
not have to scroll down and try to decipher where one message (and its'
included precedents) ends and another begins. I just click on message 7 in
the index and I am instanly there. Again, I don't know if these options are
available on the list serve that is presenting this group, but I thought it
was worth mentioning.

John Fritz, NW Arkansas.

"J. Kolenovsky" <garden@hal-pc.org> wrote:

What the owner of this group and most its members are saying is, "Quit
making the subject line of your
email to Permaculture say and reference to that particular digest which in
this case is
permaculture Digest, Vol 49, Issue 33". In other words, make your subject
line specific. Refer to
the specific topic. Create a thread on that particular topic and your fans
on this group can follow that issue
easier than putting the subject as permaculture Digest, Vol 49, Issue 33.
You know what that
does to some of us?
We have to backtrack and find the digest where that topic started. We get
mad and quit reading your input.
We move on to other submitters to the group list and read their stuff
ignoring your stuff.
The owner of this Permacluture listserv discussion asks each and every one
of us as stated in
the beginning of each digest sent to you and it says below.
When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than
"Re: Contents of permaculture digest..."

Never Miss an Email