permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture ethics

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: kran0072@umn.edu
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture ethics
  • Date: 31 Jan 2007 14:44:07 -0600

Cindy, that's interesting, about permanence and values.

Martin, I'm not sure if we're talking in the same terms or not. Let me know if I'm not clear.

I'm wondering whether it is even possible to do anything, permaculture included, without ethics or values.

A design principle, whether founded in scientific inquiry or a more intuitive process of "knowing," simply says if one does A, B will or may result. What one does, and where they do it, and exactly how is a matter of making decisions. Perhaps I'm confused, but it seems that there is no decision that one can make based solely on observation or science or whatever. If one intervenes in some system, there are implied values. It seems problematic to deny that our acts and general lifestyle are influenced by values. Perhaps we internalize and forget that these values underly our actions, but aren't they present?