permaculture - [permaculture] hippies

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] hippies
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 19:21:53 -0800 (PST)

Hippies are not limited to the Baby Boom Generation. They continue to
appear, especially in California, but also in places like North Carolina and
Kansas. (I refer to the travelling jam band, drug-soaked types as
neo-hippies, but that's another conversation.) It is a well-accepted fact
that hippies tend to come from middle class and wealthier backgrounds.
Currently, it seems countercultural types from poorer backgrounds tend to go
punk. This is mostly from my own observation in northern California.
Therefore, hippies tend to come from especially privileged backgrounds
(though I and a few other hippies I know come from poorer backgrounds).
Older hippies have mostly gone yuppie or given up on self-sufficiency.
Therefore, the claim that they are identical to permaculturists is hogwash.
There are very few practicing old-timers around, and I live in the heart of
the California back-to-the-land movement region, so I should know. Not all
hippies are New Agers, by my own
definition of the term. In fact, probably less than half are. But most
hippies I know are not activists and do not spend much time trying to change
society. They are mostly just hedonists. If you know your history, you will
be aware of the schism between the Haight-Ashbury cultural revolutionaries
and the Berkeley political radicals. Most hippies seem to have inherited
more from the former.

Rain

Bored stiff? Loosen up...

  • [permaculture] hippies, Rain Tenaqiya, 01/30/2007