permaculture - [permaculture] Permaculture Schisms

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <darren@permaculture.biz>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permaculture Schisms
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 18:20:23 +0700

G'day,

I trust that this greets you and all well.

I agree with Su that this apparent schism between Bill and David is doing
nothing for the movement, though this itself as a statement is up for grabs.
Whatever the case it has gravitated to, for want of a better word, some kind
of Permaculture folklore. For most new people to Permaculture, at least at
the courses that I am involved with, they are rather perplexed at the nature
of the situation and the lack of clarity on the matter of the genesis of
Permaculture nor the relationship between its co-founders in its creation.

Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no independent, non-partisan written
history of Permaculture as such, and so nothing in print, from any camp,
that clearly defines the whole situation for all of us punters out there. Do
people ultimately care, well that is another matter. This is the stuff of
some natural human fascination, the fodder of which many a page has been and
continues to be wasted on in the ordinary world.

How important this all is to the movement is ultimately up to the
individual, as fallings out happen all of the time in life. That said both
parties have and continue to, along with everyone else actively involved and
working in Permaculture, have an important role to play at events like IPC8,
and to this vital movement.

I would have thought that on the basis of merit alone David, as should the
Lawton's, Mollison's, Sharif's, Francis's etc. etc. should definitely be a
big part of IPC8, just as the many others out there who are doing important
work in all of the facets our movement entails. It is ultimately up to
people to put their ego's in the draw, forget the politics, not be so
discretionary and move on to the main game - whomever that may involve for
the ultimate effect.

For me personally, I am friends with both David and Bill, and you don't like
to see such considerable people not getting along. But again this is life
and not unusual, so you just move through the maze and get on with things.

So let's hope that David is able to attend IPC8, or that the reasons for his
not be clearly and publicly enunciated

Yours and Growing,

Ciao,

Darren Doherty
www.permaculture.biz

Australia Home: +61 (0) 3 5441 5525
Australia Mobile: +61 (0) 437 350 773
Viet Nam Mobile: +84 (0) 977 800 994

Skype: permaculture.biz

WORLD TOUR 2007
Permaculture Design Certificate Course (PDC)
Soil & Water for Every Farm with Keyline Design (KDC)
Design & Consulting (DC)

March 19-20 - PDC - Rainbow Valley Farm, Matakana, New Zealand
March 21-25 - PDC - Taranaki Environment Education Centre, Inglewood, New
Zealand
April 2-15 - PDC - Estancia Ranquilco, Neuquen Province, Argentina
April/May - KDC/DC - Santa Barbara & San Luis Obispo, California, USA
May – PDC/DC – None of The Above Ranch, Eel River, California, USA
May/June – PDC/KDC – Aprovecho, Oregon, USA
June - KDC - Ohio, USA
June - KDC - Finger Lakes, New York, USA
July - GIS/CAD in Permaculture - Spain
June/July – PDC/DC – Italy & Austria
August - PDC/KDC - GEM, University of Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA
August – PDC – Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
September – PDC/KDC – Portland, Oregon, USA
September - KDC - Santa Barbara, California, USA
October - PDC - Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
October - KDC - Moriac, Victoria, Australia
November - KDC - The Channon, NSW, Australia

PRIVACY DISCLAIMER - The contents of this electronic message and any
attachments are intended only for the addressees and may contain privileged
or confidential information. They may only be used for the purposes for
which they were supplied. Any use not in accord with its purpose, any
dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial, is prohibited except
with formal approval. If you receive this message in error please delete it
and immediately notify the sender by return e-mail or telephone