permaculture - [permaculture] "When Zombies Attack"

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: Permaculture ibiblio <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, openpermaculture <permaculture@openpermaculture.org>, BPG <bloomingtonpermacultureguild@lists.riseup.net>
  • Subject: [permaculture] "When Zombies Attack"
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 00:13:18 -0500

Just got the following in email. The reasons for dumping Windows continues to mount.
"When Zombies Attack"
===================
"Zombie" is the term used to describe a computer that's been compromised by any of a large number of trojan horses. These are spread like viruses, but have a more dangerous component. They "phone home" after being activated on your computer and give the controller of the program pretty much complete control over your machine.
In the past, they were mostly used to send spam. The newer versions do all sorts of unpleasant stuff. They can install keyloggers, to get your passwords and other personal information. They can search your computer for sensitive personal data and files. They can allow spammers to host web pages on your computer. They can (and will) attempt to spread themselves to everyone in your addressbook.

They can also be used to attack web sites, causing them to respond more slowly or even to become completely unavailable. The systems have gotten so efficient that as few as 100 or 200 machines can take down large sites or big chunks of the network.

The most commonly quoted estimate I've seen is that roughly 10% of the machines connected to the net are compromised. That's over 70 million zombies out there, spewing spam, stealing identities, harvesting credit card info and sending it to eastern European gangs... You name it.

Fun, huh?
Maybe you don't think this is that big a problem, but consider: If your system was compromised, is there anyone in your address book that might suffer from having their computers taken over by unscrupulous thieves? Does your mother keep personal information, maybe even bank and credit card account data, on her machine? Do any of your friends or business acquaintances?

This isn't just about you.

That figure of 70 million should scare the hell out of you. That's an enormous arsenal. And it wasn't built for fun.

I don't believe for an instant that this little note is going to make a dent in the problem. But if it gets a few more of you to install a firewall and anti-virus/anti-spyware software - and use it - I'm happy.

Problem: I don't know everyone in the world. I can only warn the people I know.

It's up to you to warn the ones that you know.
What should they do? Get, install, and use the following software. It's all free, and it's all well-known and safe.

Zone Alarm Personal. This is a basic, but effective, software firewall. I use the Pro version, but this will do just fine for keeping out most types of direct attacks.

AVG Anti-virus: Set it to scan your system and to update daily.

The next two are anti-spyware programs. AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy.

I recommend using both. Update them regularly and run them weekly, at least. Each will get things the other will miss (nature of the beast, I'm afraid), but together they won't miss much.

That'll help. A lot.
Yes, those are all Windows programs. Windows machines are the vast majority of the problem. Mostly because they're the vast majority of the computers on the net.
You also need to practice sensible computing. All the software in the world won't keep you safe if you open the door and let attackers in.

Don't open attachments from strangers. Don't open unexpected attachments from people you know. Don't forward things you got from someone else.

Don't download pirated software, or let uncertain web sites run code on your machine. If you don't know what that means, get a reasonably paranoid geek in to adjust your browser settings.

Nothing will protect you 100% from every attack, but you can stack the odds in your favor so the risk is minimal.

The most important thing you can do to protect yourself? Think about what you're doing when you use your computer.

Really. Just think. All the time.

Sucks, but that's what it takes. And it's not just you and your money and privacy that's at risk.

Of course, if your computers are important to your business, that should be a big motivation in itself. Did you know that over 90% of businesses that experience a catastrophic data loss are forced to shut down within the next year or two?

Something to think about.

The scary thing about this problem is that protecting yourself isn't that big a job. A half hour or so for each computer, and a little common sense, is all it takes.

--
Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."

  • [permaculture] "When Zombies Attack", Keith Johnson, 01/23/2007