permaculture - [permaculture] Software thoughts (Was: Help and conversations for possibility AND action)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jedd <jedd@progsoc.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Software thoughts (Was: Help and conversations for possibility AND action)
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 20:18:16 +1100

On Saturday 20 January 2007 6:17 pm, Keith Johnson wrote:
] High on our wish list is new Pagemaker, Photoshop, (and other) software

Those two will set you back about US $1,200 or so, yeah?

Have you already looked at the GIMP and Scribus? I know they're
not as feature-complete as Photoshop and Pagemaker, but they're
substantially cheaper (read free). Plus of course there's an ethical
consideration in there somewhere, I guess -- Pagemaker, Photoshop,
MS-Windows and Mac OSX are the GM'd tomatoes of the software world.

More information at:
http://www.scribus.net/ (Haven't used Scribus much, myself)
http://www.gimp.org/ (Have used this a lot)

Krita looks set to overtake the gimp at some point - lack of cmyk
support being one of the biggest complaints against the gimp for
example - but probably isn't on equal footing yet. May be worth a
look, however. Depends what you need - most people need / use
a woofteenth of the features bundled in Photoshop, for example.

http://www.koffice.org/krita/

The gimp and scribus both work on pretty much every OS out there,
but I doubt that krita's been ported to MS Windows, and probably
hasn't been ported to OSX.

Jedd.