permaculture - Re: [permaculture] forest thicket compost petition to Mother Earth News

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Steve Hoog <livingpotentials@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] forest thicket compost petition to Mother Earth News
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 15:02:47 -0800 (PST)

A full report with pros and cons would be goo---go for it---steve h

John Fritz <johnfritz77@yahoo.com> wrote: My first exposure to the concept
of Permaculture was about 1981, when I read the Mother Earth News interview
of Bill Mollison. One of the lasting points I took from the interview was the
work of Jean Pain in France. Mollison told of Pain's ability to provide all
of his heating needs with onsite resources: space heating, hot water, and
cooking. This was accomplished by the use of composted forest waste. Today,
this is an established method in France. See this link:
www.jean-pain.com/mpii450.html , and
www.jean-pain.com/mpii600.html for the specialized wood chipper used in this
process.

What I find incredible in this situation is that this method has not gained
widespread use outside of France, especially with the ever nearer time of
depletion of our natural gas supplies. Obiviously translation presents
somewhat of a problem but should not be insurmountable. (I've heard that the
concept of "American Fries" has been abandoned by the bloviaters in
Washington, and that it is once again acceptable to order French Fries : ) )

What I am proposing to the members of this list is a concerted effort, a
petition if you will, to the Mother Earth News to do a cover story about the
success of this method in France and how it could be adapted to use in the
rest of the world.

I will be drafting such a petition, and if there is enough interest from the
members of this list I will post it with a link to the Mother Earth News.

Any takers?

John Fritz, NW Arkansas.