permaculture - Re: [permaculture] forest thicket compost petition to Mother Earth News

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] forest thicket compost petition to Mother Earth News
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 15:29:28 -0500

John,
The Activist published such a story, in quite a bit of detail in issue #44, Nov 2000. Perhaps we should submit it to Mother. A concerted request from the list could certainly provide a nudge in that direction.
Keith

John Fritz wrote:
My first exposure to the concept of Permaculture was about 1981, when I read
the Mother Earth News interview of Bill Mollison. One of the lasting points
I took from the interview was the work of Jean Pain in France. Mollison told
of Pain's ability to provide all of his heating needs with onsite resources:
space heating, hot water, and cooking. This was accomplished by the use of
composted forest waste. Today, this is an established method in France. See
this link:
www.jean-pain.com/mpii450.html , and
www.jean-pain.com/mpii600.html for the specialized wood chipper used in this process. What I find incredible in this situation is that this method has not gained widespread use outside of France, especially with the ever nearer time of depletion of our natural gas supplies. Obviously translation presents somewhat of a problem but should not be insurmountable.
What I am proposing to the members of this list is a concerted effort, a petition if you will, to the Mother Earth News to do a cover story about the success of this method in France and how it could be adapted to use in the rest of the world. I will be drafting such a petition, and if there is enough interest from the members of this list I will post it with a link to the Mother Earth News. Any takers?
John Fritz, NW Arkansas.

--
Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."