permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Comfrey

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kai Vido <kaivido@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Comfrey
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:55:29 -0800 (PST)

Pat,

I have comfrey growing on our farm (escaped from cultivation and doing
well without being tended). We use the young leaves and flowers to make
a liniment that is good for sprains and bruises--just crush or chop the
fresh herb, cover with rubbing alcohol, and after a week or so, strain
and put it in bottles. The fresh leaves can also be used as a poultice,
supposedly an excellent treatment for a sprained/broken ankle etc.,
though I have (thankfully) never had to try this...

kai vido