permaculture - [permaculture] 'celebrating' Grameen, Nobel, and

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Charles de Matas" <cdematas@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] 'celebrating' Grameen, Nobel, and
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:42:06 +0000

I think a major problem in latin american countries is land tenure and availability of land. Many "farmers" are really just agricultural workers, forming a proletariat. They may have little or no land of their own and have to work for others at minimum or sub-minimum wages. I've heard that Mexico has one of the better land distribution systems in latin america, and in other countries land distribution is more skewed towards larger ranches, estates, plantations etc.
Here in Trinidad, despite the downsizing of the sugar industry, the government keeps delaying the distribution of idle lands to former sugar workers as it promised. The government also seems to be going ahead with aluminium smelters which will cause health problems from pollution and also require hundreds of acres of secondary forest to be cleared. This is done in the name of economic "development", but I think in the long run it will mean more dependency on a few jobs provided by multinational companies who will make billions in profits.

Charles
T&T

Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/