permaculture - [permaculture] rock powders

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Charles de Matas" <cdematas@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] rock powders
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 21:06:47 +0000

I have to agree with LL's comments on this. Organic gardeners are the ones using rock powders in best ways. They should be given preference in the use of these resources. Here in Trinidad dust from limestone crushers is used to make concrete blocks when it could be used much more beneficially to amend soils. There is a tremendous waste of these resources.
No system of "agriculture", even organic, is perfectly sustainable. One cannot prevent soil erosion completely. If mulch and compost materials are brought in from another site we are depleting that site. Mulch or compost material grown on site will not remedy the mineral deficiencies of the soil on the same site. Availabilty of phosphorus is very often a limiting factor in tropical soils. The developed countries use much more than their fair share of the world's resources.
Certainly we need to recycle phosphorus and other minerals as much as possible, and prevent soil erosion. But I think it is harsh to criticize the use of rock dusts by persons who are trying to practice sound environmental practices in their crop production.

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar - get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/