permaculture - Re: [permaculture] turtleback mounds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kevin Topek" <ktopek@houston.rr.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] turtleback mounds
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 15:11:57 -0600

Daimen,

Here in the swampland of Texas we plant trees who do not like wet feet as
high as possible. That may involve planting on a mound, or above the swale,
not below. Trenching along the run of the slope to remove standing water may
be necessary, especially if the swale will be waterlogged for more than a
day. Plant your trees 1-3 inches higher than the surrounding soil and the
roots will be able to breath if there is standing water around them during
their first few years. If they survive, the root system will establish so
that it can handle waterlogged conditions. Also continue to mulch to the
dripline to improve the soil's infiltration capacity.

Kevin