permaculture - Re: [permaculture] turtleback mounds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Daimen Hardie" <daimen_hardie@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] turtleback mounds
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 22:58:48 +0000

I'm planting fruit and nut trees in an old field turned alder patch, and thought to raise beds of soil to plant in as the area is often very wet. The land shows sign of old ditching and drainage, most running directly down slope. Swales on contour are going in, to intercept the runnels and improve infiltration, but I'm concerend that waterlogging will continue at times and stress the trees. I have read of 'turtleback mounds', raised beds for trees, but I'm uncertain as to how high and wide to build them.

Daimen