permaculture - Re: [permaculture] hot composting of vegetable scraps

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] hot composting of vegetable scraps
  • Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 08:49:18 -0800

The agricultural extension units of the land grant colleges typically have tons of info
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/compost/chapter1.html
Even the big boys compost -- and aerobic processes fit industrial time tables.
http://www.compost.wsu.edu/page.asp?rid=13

Also consider looking into the bio-intensive world of john jeavons - he has a interesting discussion of fast aerobic composting If you google, also use the term 'aerobic' composting

I tend to get lazy and fall back on burial of kitchen scraps since I have no fowl, and am leaning toward large worm bins to produce potting material -- the best lazy compost piles end up like worm bins anyway. The open food scrap heap looses a lot of nitrogen as nitrogen and ammonia gas. A dusting of straw, weeds, or leaves, will help you nutrient retention

The problem with doing true hot composting at a residential scale is batch size. I haven't played seriously with bacteria for a while, but when I did I tended to store my food scraps in 5 gallon buckets (butter cream frosting containers from the supermarket bakery work well if you can get them to keep the lids).You typically want a 4' square heap minimum to retain heat and get the temp up to the 140-160 degrees range... a long probe thermometer is a fun tool to track what is going on inside. So a little added to the top every day is no way to build a hot pile. A manure source is great for building a hot pile.

moist like a wrung sponge
small pieces of stuff
get some soil and/or old compost in there for innoculation
thin layers, wet as you go.
something springy like straw to get oxygen in, but use old straw thats lost its waxy coating
make big piles in a batch
have fun

Paul Cereghino
Olympia, WA, USA

John Fritz wrote:

Do you have any reference for "hot compostiing" of kitchen and garden wastes?
I generally just toss these into a chicken wire bin and let them decompose at their
own rate over the course of the summer. Hot composting sounds like fun, and I would
like to learn this technique. Thanks for any insights.
John Fritz, NW Arkansas. Message: 3