permaculture - [permaculture] Moringa

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Charles de Matas" <cdematas@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Moringa
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 22:43:53 +0000

I started planting Moringa this year. It grows quite easily from seeds which take about 2 weeks to germinate. I'm in the tropics so I have no problems with temperature. My trees are about 3 feet tall now, and I'm starting to use some of the leaves. Sometimes when I'm near the trees I will pick off a few very young leaflets and nibble on them. I try to forage whenever I can. A few times I've gone into food-gathering mode, and cut off a few leaves and brought them home to cook them like spinach. Quite tasty when cooked actually, but I haven't tried eating it in any large quantity, simply because my trees are still small. It is supposed to be quite nutritious, but is hardly used for its leaves in Trinidad. Some people cook the young pods, but even that use is declining, as I rarely see the pods being sold in the market anymore.
I understand that the trees can be propagated from cuttings, so I will let my trees grow tall and cut the trunk to get cuttings. I definitely want to try eating more of it as my production increases.

Charles
T&T

Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.com/