permaculture - [permaculture] Moringa probably won't grow in central Texas

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Moringa probably won't grow in central Texas
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 20:45:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hello fellow forest gardener,

The horseradish tree (Moringa olifera) is an awesome being, but it stops
growing once the nights get below the fifties and needs a ton of ongoing heat
to grow very much at all. It will resprout after the top dies from frost,
but I wouldn't recommend broadscale plantings of it outside of the
subtropical zones on the extreme southern edges of the US border. I have one
that has survived now for three years in central/coastal California, but
despite it's reputation as one of the world's fastest growing trees, it is
only about three feet tall. I've only been able to eat a handful of leaves
without feeling that I was taking too much. If you have better luck, I'd
really like to hear about it. I plan on keeping mine in a greenhouse.

Rain

Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates
starting at 1ยข/min.