permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Pollinators crash]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Margaret & Steven Eisenhauer" <eisenhauerdesign@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Pollinators crash]
  • Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 10:18:12 -0400

Wow! That's amazing! Here in the southern Adirondacks, we are inundated
with wasps (don't know if they're the same genus of which you're speaking).
So much to the extent that we must be cautious entering our house since they
love swarming around the warm brick exterior with all the extra heat.

We are also in our 1st year with our apiary and our 1-hive of "girls" did so
well that they produced 90 pounds of honey. Our cat has brought down
2-hummingbirds (albeit unfortunate) this summer. In the early evening we
regularly see bats running the skies. We need to get moving a set up bat
houses; we want them to eat all the mosquitoes! So it does not appear that
our region/area of this universe is lacking.

Of course it remains to be seen what happens next year. This year was very
rainy & wet and Vermont dairy farms were considered disaster areas and
supposedly received funding since it was too wet to get their corn crops in,
and if they did, they literally drowned.

The weather swings are too unpredictable. We can only hope to use sound
practices that give our animals/plants the best footing and hope for the
best.

Working at keeping our earth green and assisting Mother Nature in her
struggles.
Margaret