permaculture - [permaculture] Field Transition

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Mathew Boerson" <mmjjbb@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Field Transition
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 15:58:05 -0500

Hello,

My partner and I recently signed on to caretake at a 350 acre farm in central Wisconsin that is the weekend retreat of the owner. We will be moving there in the spring and look forward to a season of observation, but the owner would like some of the land worked sooner rather than later. For the last few seasons, 50 acres have been rented out to a neighboring farm for corn, but the owner would like to transition out of that. He does not, however, know what to transition into as farming is not his area of interst.

I am learning as much as I can about permaculture, and have plans to take a design course in the next year or two, but at present I'm not in a position to make any concrete recommendations to the owner. He has asked me what should be done and I fully intend to offer an opinion so as to avoid a conventional course of action.

Could anyone offer a suggestion for a reasonable cover crop to follow corn? Zone 5, sandy to sandy loam soil. There is a possible interest in horse pasture at some point in the future, but at this point anything that will be beneficial for the soil and cover it would be great. Any recommendations for resources that would specifically address this situation?

Thank you kindly,

Mat Boerson

Add a Yahoo! contact to Windows Live Messenger for a chance to win a free trip! http://www.imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/yahoo/default.aspx?locale=en-us&hmtagline