permaculture - [permaculture] book and resource list recommendations

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Thomas Gorman <tom@honeychrome.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] book and resource list recommendations
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 20:23:07 -0400

I think it was recommended on this list sometime recently (otherwise I have no idea where I heard of it!), but I'm reading ESCAPING THE MATRIX by Richard Moore. I recommend it to everyone. I've read many, many other books dealing with the problems facing us and so many times have felt "yeah, OK, I see the problem you are delineating and acknowledge it but what is the fundamental root of it all, etc. etc? What is the source? Where do we go to start solving the 'big problem?" So often it all felt like just an ever growing and insurmountable pile. This is the first thing I've read that seems to present a 'what's at the bottom of it' context to it all as well as some compelling and inspiring ideas for solutions, etc. It's simultaneously one of the most scary and depressing, yet exciting things I've read. The matrix analogy/metaphor is a little goofy, but serves the point pretty well.

Oh, and there's a quote from Bill Mollison in it, so it does have permaculture content.

  • [permaculture] book and resource list recommendations, Thomas Gorman, 10/15/2006