permaculture - [permaculture] poop risk

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kathleen Evans" <evansdk@earthlink.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] poop risk
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 13:56:50 -0500

My oldest daughter contracted typhoid fever while traveling in India when she
was 20. It is fecal-oral transmission. Gets in the soil and then in the water
and then you drink it. She was being very careful, always using a water
bottle with a filter, but on her last day there accepted a glass of Gatorade
that she thought came out of a bottle and then to her great dismany, saw the
family mixing up some more for her with a powder and their own water. We
almost lost her. Very very close call. Not much typhoid in the US but I don't
know what else is transmitted that way. Kathy

Kathy Evans
evansdk@earthlink.net