permaculture - Re: [permaculture] OT Linux and XP for Lawrence

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jedd <jedd@progsoc.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] OT Linux and XP for Lawrence
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 11:26:22 +1000

I've already responded off-list to Lawrence, but this inspires
an on-list observation or two.

Kubuntu (also a derivative of Debian) is a parallel development
to Ubuntu, but using KDE ( http://www.kde.org ) instead. It's
worthy of a look-see. IMO, KDE's a superior desktop environment
to Gnome, but I recognise that this is the stuff of holy wars.

For anyone trying to 'wean yourselves' off a Win32 platform,
I strongly recommend that you avoid a dual-boot scenario.

Dual-booting used to be necessary back in the last century, but
it's an expensive (time) and frustrating process, and you generally
end up favouring the default OS. For most people I'd expect that
would be the one they are comfortable with - ie, MS-Win variants.

Given that VMware now provide their Server product $-free, this
is a far more attractive proposition for those who want to make the
switch slowly. (Aside - try to reduce the period that you rely on
both platforms - even with a virtual machine architecture it's still
an expensive and time-consuming proposition maintaining two platforms
and switching between them.)

I would, of course, recommend running vmware on a GNU/Linux platform,
and then running your legacy Win32 apps within a virtual machine.
There are a number of reasons for this - including (BNLT) ultimately
just a matter of turning the vmware session off after you've weaned,
encourages that trend, the more secure platform should run as host
with less secure as guests, more robust platform should <ditto>, and
doubtless a few other good reasons exist.

VMware server product available at:
http://www.vmware.com/download/server/

Kubuntu information at:
http://www.kubuntu.org/

Note that your ISP may well have a mirror of various distributions
already - so you can download them much faster, and much more
politely, from their server instead of the public one. We can all be
good netizens, etc.

Jedd.