permaculture - [permaculture] OT Linux and XP for Lawrence

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: o d <negiliblek@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] OT Linux and XP for Lawrence
  • Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 19:47:42 -0700 (PDT)

Lawrence,

I'm not a learned guru by any means but here are my suggestions:

1- use ubuntu 6.06 if your looking for an easy distro to install
why ubuntu?

I personally like slackware 10.2 and Knoppix 3.7, but I have installed
Mandrake (now Mandriva) for my 70yr old father and ubuntu for my 26 yr old
sister.
My father loves the fact he hasn't had a single virus infection or other
issue since I set him up four years ago.

ubuntu amazed me -I like to use Knoppix for ease of use, but ubuntu is what
I'd recommend to anyone who "just wants it to work" OS desktop.

2A- You need to specifiy whether or not you have space left on your harddrive
and what the current file system that WinXP is using ( it's most likely NTFS
but I've seen it installed with FAT32).

2B- I've partitioned my laptop so that XP got 10GB and Linux got 10GB (if you
want a lot of Linux apps and data space, I recommend at least 10GB). You can
get by with WAY less space, but I'm telling you, you'll eventually want all
the cool apps that open source offers you (including the free GIS package
GRASS).

If you have a 2.0 USB port, and your computer's BIOS will allow you to boot
off of removeable media, install ubuntu on a external USB harddrive (or a 4GB
USB jump drive for that matter).

3A- Linux distros can all read AND write SAFELY now to NFTS and always could
to FAT32. The short of it is you'll be able to read the NTFS and FAT32 while
you're booted into Linux, but you won't be able to read or write to the Linux
file systems (ext2, ext3, reiserfs and many more) from M$ WinXP unless you
find a third party file system driver for Windows to read your Linux file
system.

3B- I'd recommend a reiserfs if you're going to use Linux for mail processing
( reiserfs has a very small minimum file block and is journaled). FAT32 is
insecure, Linux writes slowly to NTFS. So if you're online with XP, don't use
FAT32 even thought Linux can write quickly to FAT32.

4- Ubuntu comes with Firefox installed. Saving your profile from a Windows
box to a Linux box is doable, but I'd hafta play around with copies a few
times (nice thing, copies -no fear) before I could step you through it.

5- Ubuntu has an easy application downloaded which would allow you to install
ProcMail online.

6- Networking: Run Samba on ubuntu and simply make a share on your XP box;
you'll be able to read both shares from both the XP box and the Linux box.
Assuming, of course you have the network equipment (wired or wireless) to
setup a network.

Maybe you've found someone to help you already. If not, I'll be glad to help
you step by step ( or screenshot by screenshot).

-And that goes for others on this list also.

Message: 1