permaculture - [permaculture] Reforestation in Acre, Brazil

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marsha Hanzi <mhanzi@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Reforestation in Acre, Brazil
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 01:53:30 -0700 (PDT)

I met Jorge Viana in Rio Branco when he was still
mayor there- he brought me and my colleague Marcio
Armandi in to do the first Permaculture courses there,
in a peri-urban garden settlement he was developing
as a green belt to stop the city sprawl into the
outskirts, and to guarantee food security for Rio
Branco ( which at the time was importing food by plane
from São Paulo).

He is a good administrator, with vison, an excellent
professional, and not a politician. Has even had his
life threatened by large wood companies for clamping
down on their illicit activities in Acre. Practically
a miracle to have someone like him as governor...

Gives you hope.

Marsha
www.marsha.com.br
www.permacultura-bahia.org.br