permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture and Sustainability Progress?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture and Sustainability Progress?
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:35:20 -0700 (PDT)

--- Rael Bassan <rael@ripco.com> wrote:
> In preparing for a coming program, the issue of evaluating progress in
> permaculture became of interest. The following questions came to mind:
>
> 1) With increasing awareness about climate change (crisis/destabilization),
> are WE moving significantly closer to a "permanent culture" globally or
> locally/regionally? (WE can refer to both those concerned about
> permaculture and sustainability as well as the planet as whole.)

No. Judging from Peak Oil friends, the techno-fix is still a popular belief.
Most people seem to
hold out hopes of saving our "culture" rather than "humanity". When posed
directly, it isn't
uncommon for there to be no percieved discrepancy between the two choices,
"culture" and
"humanity". After a life time of believing in salvation, the reality may be
too shocking to
adjust within a short period of time. The choices may only make sense when
one is ready to leave
the hierarchy (at which point the techno-fix becomes nonsense).

> 2a) If so, which developments are most relevant?
> 2b) If not, what is most needed?

Freeing land from userous ownership and bootstrapping rhizome networks.

http://www.jeffvail.net/2006/04/envisioning-hamlet-economy-topology-of.html