permaculture - Re: [permaculture] a side note

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Martin Naylor <martinwnaylor@yahoo.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] a side note
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 11:32:12 +1000 (EST)

Hi
This is full on topic, without people you have no permaculture, this is
just another step along the way of creating fortress states.

Johnathan Avery Yelenick <yelenick@riseup.net> wrote:
a little off topic, but important to know:

On August 3, the US Senate ratified the Convention on Cybercrime[1].
This paves the way for greater international cooperation on
cybersecurity issues... doesn't sound so bad until you hear that the
Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) calls this "the world's worst
internet law."

According to the EFF[2]:

> The treaty requires that the U.S. government help enforce other
> countries' 'cybercrime' laws--even if the act being prosecuted is not
> illegal in the United States(!!) That means that countries that have
> laws limiting free speech on the Net could oblige the F.B.I. to
> uncover the identities of anonymous U.S. critics, or monitor their
> communications on behalf of foreign governments. American ISPs would
> be obliged to obey other jurisdictions' requests to log their users'
> behavior without due process, or compensation.

Unlike in the EU, the law in the US still allows for the general
practice of keeping no logs. In fact, we have developed a lot of
software to make this possible[3]. However, this law could make it so
that we might be ordered to begin logging at the behest of a foreign
government.

As usual, we will keep you updated on this law and our evolving police
state.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convention_on_Cybercrime
[2] http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004864.php
[3] http://dev.riseup.net/privacy

support your friendly neighborhood tech collective! riseup.net

WITHOUT DEAD TIME!
WITHOUT RESTRAINT!
WITHOUT CLASS SOCIETY!

Remember God created the world, but the Devil is the one
keeping it active' Bob Dylan

"Put away the book, the description, the tradition, the
authority, and take the journey of self-discovery.
Love, and don't be caught in opinions and ideas about what love
is or should be. When you love, everything will come right.
Love has its own action. Love, and you will know the
blessings of it. Keep away from the authority who tells you
what love is and what it is not. No authority knows and he
who knows cannot tell. Love, and there is understanding."
-- Krishnamurti

There is no consciousness or unconsciousness, there is only awareness, Love
and Freedom are states, every Human has a right to be in Love and Freedom
every Human has a right to shelter food clean water and clothing.All
psychological thought is a waste of energy, Martin

On Yahoo!7
The new Yahoo!7 TV home page features highlights and popular picks