permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Shadecloth

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Shadecloth
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 20:39:51 -0400

J. Kolenovsky wrote:

I may have asked this question before and if so I apologize.

I work in a nursery where the shadecloth has been removed. Some of the
plants are getting sun scald.

What kind of numbers could I jiggle to show the shrinkage of profit due to
plant loss? What kind of data could justify the use of shadecloth and its
benefits? Where could I find the numbers formula or the justified data.
Please let me know in simple terms. I wish I was as smart as some of you out
there.

Call up any commercial landscape nursery or large scale plant nursery and have them submit that info to the Borg (Home Despot). They all use lathhouses or shadecloth to protect most broad-leafed calciphobes (azalea, rhododendron, daphne,
leucothoe, etc. and all small liners that are not under forest cover).