permaculture - Re: [permaculture] (no subject)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Ben Martin Horst" <ben.martinhorst@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] (no subject)
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:35:02 -0700

Now that you mention it, I think I'd agree with you on aesthetic and
semantic grounds. But, having just consulted a dictionary, there's a
little problem of precedent, at least in US usage: "agriculturalist"
and "horticulturalist" are both acceptable forms of "agriculturist"
and "horticulturist." And it seems to me that while "agriculturist"
might be the preferred form gramatically, it is the less used form ...
I have a hunch we'll have a long, impossible-to-win battle to convince
the general public to use the shorter forms of these words.

I am curious, however, where these forms first popped up. The extra
syllable is an addition that might have an interesting etymology,
though I haven't been able to find it in a cursory search.

Ben