permaculture - [permaculture] pond advice

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kathy Evans" <evansdk@earthlink.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] pond advice
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 13:01:41 -0500

Hello, This week and next I have some extra help around the house--brother is
visiting, and he is going to put in a new pond for me. I am thinking a small
pond (I have a preform 40 gallon one that we can move--probably not ideal but
do-able) with filtration plants and a small waterfall/stream that leads from
it into the larger (new) pond. The larger pond will only a few feet across.
These will be close to a downspout, north side of the house, garden is about
thirty or forty feet away. My question is, can I eventually turn this design
into part of a greywater system and if so what should I be thinking about
right now, this week, as they build it? I know there are excellent books on
the subject and I have looked at what Toby says about greywater and really
want to do this eventually...but they are buying materials tomorrow so I
don't have much time to read up on it all right now. Are these ponds too
small to incorporate into a greywater system? I'm thinking fish in the larger
bottom pond and then I can get tadpoles started in the upper smaller pond and
the fish won't eat them. And eventually some unkinkable hose to a drip system
in the garden?
Thanks for any advice... Kathy in St. Louis