permaculture - Re: [permaculture] uncolleging

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: KNat <knat@sprintmail.com>
  • To: evansdk@earthlink.net, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] uncolleging
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:23:13 -0500

Kathy Evans wrote:
Paul, Can you tell us more about what your son is doing uncolleging? I have
one who has so far traveled around the world twice on a shoestring,
volunteering. I have a hard time letting go of thinking they need a degree.
Kathy
Hi Kathy,
I'm the one who mentioned uncolleging. I figured it best to ask. My son's reply below.

Kathyann

What is uncolleging? It's life.

Uncolleging is putting yourself in situations to find your talents, and what you love to do, or continuing that process if you've unschooled. It's surrounding yourself with skill-building opportunities, and honing skills. It's periodically checking in with yourself (or a mentor) to see that what you are doing is somehow related to your lifelong dreams and goals. It's remembering to document what you do so that when you're "done" with "college" you have a work history or resume that can put any college transcript or degree to shame. You don't have to wait till you've graduated to do what you want, you just have to find out what you actually want, and how to do it.

That's the quick and dirty of my current impression of it.