permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Schooling- was homeschooling

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: KNat <knat@sprintmail.com>
  • To: evansdk@earthlink.net, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Schooling- was homeschooling
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 02:31:33 -0500

Kathy Evans wrote:

Kathyann, I may not even understand the question, but if you're asking what
I think you're asking, I'm not sure it's possible to "track" what's
happening inside the hearts and souls and brains of children in a learning
environment like your school without diluting and compromising what's
really happening and without adversely affecting it.
This is probably true of anything, but we do do it. As I map our home culture (I dislike the word property), it isn't my making a map that would diminish the value of an individual plant. If I disrespect its value and connections to everything else under and around it, its contributions and its needs, I do disservice, but that is in my attitude with the map, not the map itself.. But making the map allows me to share with others, who have not sat with that plant, its amazing value, and reinput, contextually, the knowledge I have of it. I'm hoping someone has been working with computerizing enough to have an idea of a program that can record this example of a plant- location; type; needs-sun, water, type minerals-ph, cohabitants; contributions- medicinal, nitrogen fixer, well rooted for slope, leaf litter, cohabitant protection/supplies; (energy form if it's someone like me); reproduction style, timing; seasonal cycles. Quick list but you get the idea. Noting the patterns does not reduce the plant to only those elements but allows me to include it and its value whenever I consider the area as a whole and gives more details than I may recall when tending it.
Logging a human individual would be very similar as the plant with webbing to cohabitants and shared mineral or sun needs. In fact the needs of the humans here is considered without apparent damage (I hope, I'm on the map in my frequent spots.)
As far as terms to apply to an individual student's core, I imagine it would be like our in-house mandala. Probably using Brent Cameron's new book, Self-Design, for reference- the state understands anything if I can put a publisher's information and it has great research behind it.
. http://newsite.selfdesign.org/SelfDesignPrograms/Paragon/0018EB72-0016E390.0/paragonWEB.gif
There is great correlation between feeling capable of making necessary changes in childhood and adult happiness. So we can keep communication in terms of empowering a developing self. (We are not able to be as free-form as Wondertree, yet, but Self-design does create "categories" for intentions.)

Peace,
Kathyann

ps I do like Dumbing Us Down and, coincidentally, saw John Taylor Gatto, most recently, 2 weekends ago- working, and playing, with alternative educators (including brainstorming this desire of mine for permaculture logging of children.) AERO has tapes of his sessions.