permaculture - [permaculture] Poly water tanks (was: untapped H2O resources....(I'm being funny...)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: R Freeman <sunnysidesourdough@gmail.com>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Poly water tanks (was: untapped H2O resources....(I'm being funny...)
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 04:00:51 +0800

Lynann says:
> ...we're having
> un-(season)reasonably hot humid weather....

The weather's strange all the way down to us here in the southwest corner of
Australia. The message from all but a few climate change naysayers is that
we are going to have to get used to it!

> ...I've read that Polyethylene is ok for storing
> "potable" water in....
"Poly" tanks and galvanized iron tanks with poly liners (coupled with
rooftop rainwater collection) are extremely common in this part of the
world. I have a 20,000 gallon tank for the house. However, the tank company
(http://www.pioneertanks.com.au/) notes in its literature that it uses a
"food grade liner". I don't know if we can imply from that that the poly
septic tanks are not food grade, but I would be wary in case undesirable
tastes, if not actual toxins, leached into your drinking water.
A second point, I tried burying a 1000 gallon poly tank (not a septic tank)
but the sides buckled in under the weight of the soil and broke. An
expensive lesson.

Stay cool!

--Robert