permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Germination Rates in Mulch

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: msnow@mountainschool.org
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Germination Rates in Mulch
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 18:51:31 -0400 (EDT)

I've successfully sown field peas and oats into a decently thick (that is,
not sparse) straw mulch. Like the green manures mentioned below, a lot of
the seeds germinated on and in the mulch - fine for covers but likely not
for veggies, as they'll become pd leggy. For the covers mentioned below,
you can generally avoid the problem of seeds establishing in the crowns by
altering sowing technique. Try striding - walk purposefully - down the
row with a bag or bucket of seed in front, sowing a handful (or cut with
sand or soil to thin it out) of seed underhand so it spreads in front of
you. As you stride you retrieve more seed and sow again. Time it so you
let go as you reach the end of your last pitch. If you have a lot of
ground to cover, walk in tandem with others to the end of the row.

Here's another thought, if we're talking covers. Use hay mulch with a lot
of seed in it. Viola.

Carrots and lettuce? Sepp Holzer Austrian Rebel Farmer sows a mix like
that and it comes up. Don't think he sows into a mulch. Anyone?

Mike