permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Germination Rates in Mulch

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Niels Corfield <mudguard@gmail.com>
  • To: roxann <roxann@ancientearthwisdom.com>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Germination Rates in Mulch
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 19:18:34 +0100

Roxann, Neshura,

I think there are a number of conditions seeds will germinate.
Seeds are adapted for germination in a leaf-litter, rather than soil. I think mainly.
Green manure seeds can germinate and root in brassica hearts.
"I have tried ugm (undersown green manures) with various clover and cereal types but have run into problems of establishment and seed falling into the heart of brassacaes and taking root there!"
Ian Tollhurst
http://www.veganorganic.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=48&Itemid=65

So there is possibility of top-side, or partial imersion-mulch germination.

Niels

roxann wrote:

i use a hay mulch and i've never tried just putting the seeds down on or in
the mulch. usually, i will put a bucketfull of soil where i want to plant (on
top of the mulch) and then mulch that after the seeds are up well enough. i
was thinking the seeds needed good contact with the soil and moisture to
germinate.

roxann