permaculture - [permaculture] www.permaculture.biz/PCplans.htm

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <darren@permaculture.biz>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] www.permaculture.biz/PCplans.htm
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 04:07:11 +0700

G'day,

Thanks for the post. As with everything I started from scratch. I didn't do
any classes to learn just put in some serious hours. Now this is possibly
reflected in the layout and style of my plans, in that when I check out
(avidly) other design professionals' plans I pick up bits and pieces to
improve my own game. It took until 2004 for me to go do a short course (in
AutoCAD) to learn that there are (as for everything) drafting layout
standards....

To answer your question though, doing a basic drafting course (likely to be
AutoCAD) would be a good foundation, one that I possibly should have done in
1994! AutoCAD is an amazing program and I have only done a couple of plans
using it.

On the larger of the two plans I went 3 times over my quoted time (at my
cost), and was caught up in the sub millimeter minutae that AutoCAD is
capable of. For a 60 acre farm layout this was way over the top! If you
crack AutoCAD then anything else, like MapInfo etc are a walk in the park as
they are all very similar in a lot of ways. I have yet to publish online
these AutoCAD plans but will in a week or so.

I use MapInfo because its functional, easy to use and does what I want
quickly and easily.

Ciao,

Darren J. Doherty
www.permaculture.biz/PCplans.htm