permaculture - [permaculture] Growing Hops

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "sunsh8ine" <nature1@uniserve.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Growing Hops
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 03:28:50 -0700

When growing hops, in my experience, a lot of space is good between hops area
and other plant growing areas! Hops like to spread, even with trellising
(which directs their attn up rather than out in every direction I guess).
Their roots can be hundreds of feet long, and they have a tendency to pop up
where they like and take over the area. And, once they have spread they are
not easily discouraged from growing in their new spot(s). Areas with minimal
water or low water tables might not have this difficulty, but those with high
water levels, beware the enthusiastic hop plant! Very low care plants, and
harvesting can be simple, too. Pull down the vines off the trellises, trees
they have crawled upon, etc, remove hops flowers (it's a short season harvest
so watch for those flowers laden with pollen), cut back the vines (feed to
animals or compost) and wait until next year when they will be back with
gusto! Sunshine (coastal zone 7)