permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Bentonite

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: R Freeman <sunnysidesourdough@gmail.com>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Bentonite
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 09:52:01 +0800

Lisa Rollens asks
> Does anyone know anything about using Bentonite in garden
> soil to increase the water holding capability?

Here's a thought. (Not tried in practice) Do you have access to diposable
diapers? The absorbant crystals (polyacrylate, I think) would be great at
holding water (but they are supposed to break down into harmless components
after a while, so I gues it would not be a permanrent solution). If you use
*used* diapers, the cyrtals would already be charged with nutrients and
water. (I think this option is only suitable for your own babies. I
personally wouldn't fancy doing that with other babies' diapers!)

Cheers,
Robert