permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Response to "Prepare for disaster" - What about financial system collapse

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: scakya@lobo.net
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Response to "Prepare for disaster" - What about financial system collapse
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 09:47:29 -0600

Great piece Harold,
As one who is linked closely to East coast traders and behind the scene folks in DC, know you are on the right track-you've hit a bulls eye in fact.
But, instead of fear, knowledge of how to and what to is important for survival in uncertain times.
I moved my small family away from subdivisons, towns and crowded neighborhoods.We bought a 25 acre piece of land that had been overgrazed and trashed(literally). No mortgage!!!!! and property is held in a holding company .
What I am doing is raising milk goats,sheep, poultry, pigs and occassional alternative livestock type. All manure gets used in composting,soiled bedding goes to the garden or new planting area and leaves/shredded paper collected in one small town get added into the mix for additional humus and carbon. This is rocky ground and suffering erosion so I build layered terraces and plant them with useful trees, bushes and other plants. This year I will be planting 100 fruit and nut trees through Sept. 15th.
Garden, you bet and much is in raised beds built form salvaged wood and other materials non-toxic in nature. Trees are being planted now for every two rows of raised beds to provide shade and wind break in our high altitude environment. 98 degrees with a 20 MPH constant wind can do a lot of damage in a short time, so it pays to pay attention to ones climate. Forgot to mention I use fine shredded wood shavings for mulch on trees and herbs, veggies get alfalfa chaff and goat manure for theirs.
The whole point of this is you don't need to be afraid, just informed and do something about it.
Pat Maas
Earthwalker Farm
McIntosh, NM