permaculture - Re: [permaculture] moving toward permaculture on a very small scale

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Robert Waldrop" <bwaldrop@cox.net>
  • To: <evansdk@earthlink.net>, "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] moving toward permaculture on a very small scale
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 21:46:59 -0500

I live close to downtown Oklahoma City, on 1/7th of an acre, on which there is a duplex (1500 sq ft), a small house (900 sq ft), sidewalks and a driveway. We have about 70 different varieties of edible perennials growing on our former lawns.

Since we can't be self-sufficient in food here, we concentrate on food items which have high value to us and which are hard to get or are very expensive from other local sources. So we raise a lot of fruit (organic fruit is next to impossible to get in Oklahoma), aliums, hot peppers, herbs(culinary and medicinal), greens, peas, tomatoes, and potatoes.

We get most of the rest of our food (including all of our meats and eggs and dairy) from the Oklahoma Food Cooperative, which we had a hand in starting, and which only sells foods and non-food items that are produced in the state of Oklahoma. http://www.oklahomafood.coop .

One thing to remember about permaculture is that it is not just about gardening class, although it certainly has a lot to say about food production. Permaculture encompasses not only what you grow, but also where you live, i.e., the household's dwelling is an important aspect of a permaculture lifestyle. Our house (we live in the duplex) was built in 1929, and our goal with that dwelling is to renovate it so that it will be a comfortable place to live in even if the electrical grid goes down and piped in natural gas is no available. So we chased air leaks with 90 tubes of caulk and 20 cans of foam, then we superinsulated the walls (R-33) and attic (R-50 on our way to R-75 when we get some more money), tore off the south wall and installed glass to make a sunporch heat-grabber, put in a low flow shower and 1.5 gallon flush toilet. We have plans to build a composting toilet. We put a switch on the electric water heater so we could turn it off when hot water wasn't needed, and we wrapped it with insulation. On the drawing board is a greywater recycling system, a rainwater harvesting system, a tornado shelter/root cellar, and several more projects.

This winter, on any day the sun was shining all day, we accumulated enough solar gain to not need any backup heat (our only backup heat is a woodburning stove). If it was cloudy, we needed a fire, but we only burned 1/2 cord of wood all winter.

Now it is summer, and our efforts are still paying off. We don't use air conditioning, instead we installed a low power whole house fan and ceiling fans in all the room. We are generally about 20 degrees cooler inside than the outside air temperature at the hottest time of the day (late afternoon). Our electrical bill hasn't been more than $55 since last November, for typically 450-500 kilowatt hours/month -- for lighting, heating, cooking, hot water, computer/entertainment, and fans.

Another big area of concern to permaculture is transportation. I used to drive to work five or six days a week, 24 miles round trip. Now I take the bus at least 3 days a week. We are trying to walk more and drive less.

While much more could be mentioned, the final thing I would say is that urban permaculturists need to work hard on establishing permaculture communities in cities. I consider the Oklahoma Food Cooperative to be a type of permaculture community. We have a local permaculture internet discussion group, okperma@yahoogroups.com . Each spring we do a bulk purchase of fruit/nut trees and berry bushes, so we are able to get these bare-root plants at wholesale prices ($1-$2 each for 2'-4' plants). We also do a LOT of "permaculture propaganda work". for example, see http://www.bettertimesinfo.org/2004index.htm , which is the online version of a print publication we distribute here locally.

In cities, permaculture is all about community. Perhaps the need for community is more obvious in the city, since our little 1/7th of an acre is not going to be enough land to produce food for our houseold (presently 3 people). So we have to be involved with others. It's not optional.

Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma City
tadpole in training with Barking Frogs Permaculture, http://www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kathy Evans" <evansdk@earthlink.net>
Thank you all for your kind and welcoming responses to my earlier question,
am I at the right party. I live on less than half an acre in the city. I
have been organic gardening for over twenty years, raised beds and
trellises, about a thousand square feet, letting the edible weeds go and
eating them, and I have a small flock of hens, for eggs, and use the manure
on the garden. I know and use wild edibles. The rest of my yard is shaded
and has clay soil. Five people to feed. What are some next steps I can take
to move in this permaculture direction under these conditions, given that I
won't be moving out to the country any time soon? What's the difference
between what I've been doing and permaculture? What form does permaculture
take in the city, if any, when self-subsistence is not possible, not even
close? Kathy