permaculture - Re: [permaculture] moving toward permaculture on a very small scale

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Steve Hoog <livingpotentials@yahoo.com>
  • To: evansdk@earthlink.net, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] moving toward permaculture on a very small scale
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 17:32:28 -0700 (PDT)

good suggestions from clint and ditto on the book. just remember that a
system can be of any size---your plot , a city block or two, a
neighborhood-----so when you think you've maxed what you can produce on your
space start organizing permaculture study groups with people near you ,
analyze the wider space around you, start buying cooperatively those things
you cant produce, encourage people to use lawns or empty lots for production
, think rooftops for growing , encourage barter and trade systems, ride
shares, community bike shop and repair, link with other community producers
in an ever widening circle--------the principles of multiple functions and
multiple supports can be applied at many many levels. your imagination is
your main limit--set your intention- watch it happen------steve

Kathy Evans <evansdk@earthlink.net> wrote: Thank you all for your kind and
welcoming responses to my earlier question,
am I at the right party. I live on less than half an acre in the city. I
have been organic gardening for over twenty years, raised beds and
trellises, about a thousand square feet, letting the edible weeds go and
eating them, and I have a small flock of hens, for eggs, and use the manure
on the garden. I know and use wild edibles. The rest of my yard is shaded
and has clay soil. Five people to feed. What are some next steps I can take
to move in this permaculture direction under these conditions, given that I
won't be moving out to the country any time soon? What's the difference
between what I've been doing and permaculture? What form does permaculture
take in the city, if any, when self-subsistence is not possible, not even
close? Kathy