permaculture - Re: [permaculture] slug solutions

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Janet Wyllie" <jwyllie@dcsi.net.au>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] slug solutions
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 09:52:25 +1000

I am in Vic, Australia, temperatures over 40C in summer and often snow in the winter. Rainfall normally over 40 inches but also drought conditions in summer. There are 2 types of slugs. The larger - up to 3 inches we call a leopard slug and it is a meat eater, as in eats other slugs and snails, therefore highly prized. The smaller only grows to 1/2 inch is a light brown color with a white underbelly. It is a voracious vegetative eater. Even the skin off the pumpkins will be eaten if I don't move them. I have been vigilant in removing them, not relocating but stomping or feeding to the chooks, for many years. After a summer rain, I can spend several hours walking the boundary of my garden, just treading on them as they swarm in from the paddock. In the end, I just get sick of it. One old building near my place has the same problem, but neighbours only a few hundred metres away have no slugs at all.
cheers
Janet

  • Re: [permaculture] slug solutions, Janet Wyllie, 05/09/2006