permaculture - Re: [permaculture] deer fencing?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture list <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] deer fencing?
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 08:58:07 -0700

Kevin,

I tried the system you describe. Three feet apart is too little; deer can
jump a 3-foot span (at least the mule deer in the US west can). I also tried
4-foot spans, but one buck learned that if he went to the corner he could
jump into the space between, and then do a second diagonal jump into the
garden. The other deer learned quickly to copy him. An 8-foot fence is the
only thing that worked. I tried all the other solutions too: hanging bars of
soap, fishing line, etc. With 3 strands of electric fence, they learn that
if they are mid-air when they go through them they are not grounded and thus
don't get shocked. Had pretty good luck with 5 feet of chicken wire lying on
the ground all the way around the garden plus a 4-foot fence, but grass
grows up through the chicken wire and then the deer walk on it. Do the big
fence and stop worrying.

Toby