permaculture - [permaculture] deer fencing?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: kevin s <k.skvorak@verizon.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] deer fencing?
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 09:21:26 -0400

apologies if this had been a previous thread, but i am wondering about opinions on deer fencing.

we are thinking about electric, and using a system where you put two parallel fence lines in, about 3ft apart. the outside fence line has two strands, and so does the inner fence, but they are at different heights, the highest being the inner line, but that only goes to 48in.

the idea is that the deer won't jump the distance, and you just need to keep them from crawling thru the outer fence

besides the expense, the main downside of this system is the maintence to keep the weeds out of the wires

i wish i knew of an alternative, and unfortunately just allowing the deer to have their share won't work in our deer saturated region

peace,