permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Acacias in clay soils

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: hannah brumerskyj <han_ysic@yahoo.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Acacias in clay soils
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:24:20 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

I grew up in south eastern Australia, about two hours drive south of
Sydney. The area I lived had almost no topsoil, and acacias thrived,
especially the fast growing ones that grow in a couple of years and then die
off. Great for firewood/windbreaks/sheltering other species that are slower
growing. Not sure exactly which species, but they are probably acacia
longifolia, as it describes it as almost a weed that has spread out of
gardens.

description
www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/longifolia.php
picture
www.anbg.gov.au/images/photo_cd/301610241319/068.html

sinergyinaction@netscape.net wrote:
Hi,
after some search I realized that most if not all, of the fast and
semi-fast growing acacias
for semi-arid to arid lands (mostly) grow on sandy soils.
I wonder whether anyone in this list has had any experience in
growing them in clay soils and with what results.
Cheers
Antonio