permaculture - Re: [permaculture] agroforestry discussion list

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] agroforestry discussion list
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 20:48:37 EST

The article below-- actually an entire booklet-- will serve as a good general
introduction to the uses of sorghum and millet in human nutrition. Astute
Texans on the lookout for opportunity's knock will note that in Africa,
sorghum
was first cultivated as the basis for making beer. This could work, folks.

http://www.fao.org/documents/show_cdr.asp?url_file=/DOCREP/T0818e/T0818E01.htm

Unfortunately, sorghum has an incomplete suite of amino acids, and is not
that great from a nutritive standpoint. Certain heretics have discussed the
prospect of enhancing the stuff via genetic tinkering. If this were to come
pass, millions who now depend on the stuff for survival could in fact be
living
healthier lives. Naturally, their souls would be in jeopardy.

http://www.africancrops.net/abstracts2/nutrition/mehlo.htm

http://www.fao.org/documents/show_cdr.asp?url_file=/DOCREP/T0818e/T0818e00.htm

It's a good idea when preparing these foods to supply an array of nutrients
by adding dal (lentils), vegetables and healthy spices like turmeric,
coriander
and garlic. This boosts food value and flavor. The strategy gets around the
GM problem, and makes the food taste good as well.

There would be some cultural problems with acceptance. I'm trying to wrap my
head around people in Oklahoma, New Mexico and West Texas thinking that
sorghum is not just for the cattle. I don't think some among them will be
ordering
the curry soon.

Their loss. The millet injera in particular is very good, and holds pinto
beans and gravy as well as any corn tortilla I ever saw. More absorbent, even.